Jefferson Parish Schools Procedures and Policies
Below is a link to the Jefferson Parish Schools 2017-2019 Procedures and Policies for Parents and Students. Within the manual is also information on our Internet Usage Policy.
Jefferson HS Cell Phone/Electronic Policy
All electronic devices are to be TURNED to the OFF position and not visible on campus during unauthorized time frames.
Electronic devices are permitted in the morning (between 6:50 and 7:15) and during 1st and 2nd lunch, but the following restrictions apply.
- Music is only allowed to be played through the use of ear buds or headphones.
- Speakers are NOT ALLOWED.
- Outgoing and incoming phone calls are not allowed.
Electronic devices (including ear buds and headphones) ARE NOT ALLOWED during transitions between classes.
Electronic devices are permitted in the classroom for academic purposes at the discretion of the classroom teacher.
If a student is caught using his/her cell phone in class (without permission), the teacher will issue a warning. If the student is non-compliant or complies initially, and is observed using the device again within the class period, the teacher will contact Student Services to have the student removed.
If a student is removed from class, and relinquishes the phone to an administrator, they will receive an Administrative After-School Detention.
If a student refuses to turn in the cell phone to administration, the parent will be notified and a Two day In-School Suspension will go into effect.
Students, please note that if someone else’s phone is in YOUR possession, you will receive consequences (see below) as if it were your phone.
Electronic devices (including ear buds and headphones) are subject to confiscation by an administrator for violating any of the rules listed above.
The West Jefferson High School Cellphone Policy is subject to change at any point at the discretion of the principal.
- Confiscation (if student turns in the phone to an administrator that initially requested)
- Administrative After School Detention (if student is non-compliant with teacher requests, but turns in the phone to administration)
- Two Day In-School Suspension (Refusal to allow the cell phone to be confiscated and held until the appropriate Monday after school.)